E Komo Mai
Welcome to the Hawai‘i Climate Change Portal!
Here you can find information on all of the efforts the State is taking to address the climate change challenge!
Hawai‘i is a small state with big ambitions and big actions–especially when it comes to addressing climate change. We are #StillIn the Paris Agreement. As a member of the U.S. Climate Alliance, we believe that smart, coordinated State action can ensure that the U.S. continues to contribute to the global effort to address climate change.
In response to the Paris Agreement, Hawai‘i created the Hawai`i Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation Commission (aka State Climate Commission).
Hawaii’s Climate Commission recognizes the urgency of climate threats and the need to act quickly. It promotes ambitious, climate-neutral, culturally responsive strategies for climate change adaptation and mitigation in a manner that is Clean, Equitable & Resilient.
Multiple departments and efforts comprise Hawaii’s response to the global climate crisis. Here, you will find our efforts in:
- Adaptation to climate change impacts, particularly the effects of sea level rise on Hawai’i
- Mitigation of climate change impacts, with a focus on emissions reductions (more information forthcoming)
- Carbon sequestration, addressed through the work of the Greenhouse Gas taskforce
- Tracking Greenhouse Gas emissions through a GHG inventory. This inventory is in the process of being updated.
- Setting energy policy through the Hawai`i Clean Energy Initiative and the State’s Energy Office